Foundation 649 is a 501c3* that discovers and empowers young, talented Asian Americans who are actively shaping our cultural and social identity.
2021 Foundation 649 Scholarship
The Foundation 649 Scholarship is a one-time grant of $2,000 that can be applied to college tuition. The aim of our scholarship is to promote and share Asian American culture and stories from students across the country.
- Five recipients will be selected
- Each recipient will receive a one-time award of $2,000 USD
- Application deadline is April 1, 2021
- 10 entrants will be selected as finalists for two video call interviews by May 15, 2021
- Recipients are announced by June 15, 2021
- Be a degree-seeking, full-time student enrolling in a U.S. accredited university in Fall 2021 as a Freshman
- One or both parents/guardians immigrated to the US from East or South-East Asia
- Have demonstrated financial need for the scholarship
- Have a track record of involvement and interest in Asian American communities, issues, or causes
- Be a US citizen, resident or foreign national
The application consists of a questionnaire and a short essay (1000 word maximum). Creativity is welcome - alternate media will also be accepted in place of the essay if the applicant chooses (e.g. film, photography, etc.). If you are selected as a recipient, with your permission, we plan to share your submission with our audiences.
Essay prompt: Describe how your community uniquely contributes to the broader Asian American experience.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com.
Applications are closed for the 2021 cycle, check back in Fall 2022!
What exactly does 'demonstrated financial need' look like? Are there specific household income requirements?
We don't have a hard requirement for household income - we want to leave space for all different types of financial situations. We would like to hear about how the scholarship has a financial impact on you and will consider it as part of your application in a broader, holistic context.
Am I eligible if I am of ________ descent or if my parents are from ________?
We recognize that there may be cases in which a candidate identifies as East/Southeast Asian American but don't fall neatly into a familial bucket, e.g. adoptees. Generally, if you are of East/Southeast Asian descent and resonate with Foundation 649's mission, we encourage you to apply. However, don't hesitate to email us if you have specific eligibility questions.
Are South Asians eligible for the Foundation 649 scholarship?
At the moment, the Foundation 649 scholarship is focused on serving the East and Southeast Asian American communities. The term ‘Asian American’ undoubtedly includes South Asians; however, as our team stands today, we believe that are we best equipped to empathize with and elevate the shared cultural contexts of East and Southeast Asian communities. We recognize that the lines are not always clear on this issue, so please reach out it you have any specific eligibility questions.